THOUGHTS ON THE CALIFORNIA DROUGHT

THOUGHTS ON THE CALIFORNIA DROUGHT


sitting here feeling like a used car
one part after the other failing me
the aroma of  fresh brewing coffee
wakes my brain cells


the drought laughs at the masses
teases them with a light drizzle
picture of an old lover stares at me
from its place on the mantle
her smile warm as the campfire

I sat around as a child
my room a dust garden
my hamstring pull refuses to address
the promised golden years drown
in quicksand


Israel and Palestine engaged in endless war
Putin playing death games in Moscow
proof the cave man still lives inside us


fields toiled by immigrants
now treated like criminals
the elderly a liability


the young puppets in a political game
poets once warriors on skateboards
now prisoners of pride and envy


I take refuge in the soft raindrops
the peace of solitude rides my veins
like a steamship treading calm waters


the garden of my mind is still green
poems wait to be planted in fertile soil
no drought can kill

No comments:

Post a Comment